This methodology section explains how the project plans to reach its objectives by performing the identified tasks. Following the iterative and incremental cycle of Plan-Do-Check-Act in software process improvement activities, the project will identify the requirements, provide the methodology and tools according to these requirements, validate the results and finalize the deliverables. This iterative approach allows reflection and optimal planning.
Figure 1: Phases, timeline and milestones
The research and development in the project will follow an iterative and incremental approach that is divided into four phases as shown in Figure 1. Each phase ends with an external project milestone.
- Phase 1 – Baseline: In the first phase of the project we will create an initial technical baseline. We will also define precisely the use case scenarios for the networked enterprises and derive requirements for technical development in the project.
- Milestone 0: Official kick-off meeting for the project has been held. The NEFFICS Community and project website, the Project Quality Plan and the Consortium Agreement have been established.
- Milestone 1: Established baseline by partially implementing initial use case scenarios and consolidated requirements for technology usage and development in networked business value analysis, innovation, process and service models.
- Phase 2 – Modelling and analysis: In the second phase of the project we will introduce the first project innovations that will be evaluated in the two use cases.
- Milestone 2: First integrated release (version 1) of NEFFICS results. This version will advance modelling and analysis for networked organization structure, value delivery, processes and services, and process, service and product innovation.
- Phase 3 – Extended modelling and execution: In the third phase of the project we will introduce new incremental project innovations that will be evaluated in the two use cases.
- Milestone 3: Improved integrated release (version 2) of NEFFICS results. This version will advance modelling and execution in all areas from phase 2 extended with case management and networked open business model innovation.
- Phase 4 – Evolution: In the fourth phase of the project we will finalize and integrate the technical results of NEFFICS, provide final validation and experience reports from the two use cases and final management reporting.
- Milestone 4: Final release and packaging (version 3) of NEFFICS results. This version will finalize modelling and execution in all areas from phase 3 with support for networked evolution and continuous business improvements and innovation.
Overall strategy of the work plan
In order to achieve the research objectives, the project is organised into two work packages focused on case studies, five technical work packages focused on research and development, a standardisation, dissemination and exploitation work package, and finally a project management work package. Technical work packages are structured with the purpose of fostering the final integration of technical contributions amongst partners and to keep a tight relationship with the use case work package. The overall work package structure and the relationships and dependencies between the work packages are represented in Figure 2:
Figure 2: Work package structure
- WP1 is dedicated to the Virtual Factory Network case study lead by Vlastuin.
- WP2 is dedicated to the Liquid Hospital case study lead by HSJD.
- WP3 focuses on defining a framework for networked business value analysis with associated models, methods, specification and contribution to standards.
- WP4 aims at defining business models for cloud based innovation within the Future Internetenvironment, and associated methods and specifications and contributions to standards.
- WP5 focuses on IT-related process and service models, but aims to extend and link these IT-oriented models to business and innovation models from WP3 and WP4 with associated cloud-based tools and methodology support in collaboration with WP6 and WP7.
- WP6 provides the cloud-based innovation management platform and services to build the innovation community in the case studies.
- WP7 provides the cloud-based business operations platform to build the business applications for the networked enterprises in the case studies.
- WP8 deals with defining and executing of standardisation, dissemination and exploitation plans so that the results of the project will be successfully adopted, both for the duration of the project and afterwards.
- WP9 is concerned with the management of the project as a whole and with the capacit of the management organisation to change orientations and priorities whenever required.